Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Major in Nursing, Minor in Spanish, Study Abroad

Major in Nursing, Minor in Spanish, Study Abroad?
Okay so I was wondering would I be able to study abroad because of my nursing major? is nursing different in different countries? I looked on the colleges that I applied to and they dont have a study abroad program where I can do my public health in Spain. It is my dream to go to there and become fluent in spanish. Should I just not study abroad? :-(
Studying Abroad - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
That is completely up to your school. Some have nursing programs where you go through in a specific order in a group and they do not allow study abroad. Medicine is hardly ever taught in English either, so it will be very hard to find a program is you are wanting Spain. You can throw nursing out the window for a year and go for a language program. Nursing is not a college degree in other countries, they still go by the system that we used to use, having nursing schools (my mom went to nursing school before they were added to our college system). This is also why it is very difficult to do nursing abroad. No matter what you do, if you go abroad, it will set you back time wise. You can declare a Spanish major as well and go over (a minor would only justify you being there for a semester, not enough time to become fluent). Also, not having a study abroad program does not mean a whole lot, it just means that at the moment there is no standing agreement, but they can make one if you do want to go study Spanish. But, again, because nursing is not taught at colleges, you would be going there to study Spanish, and maybe to get a few gen eds like lit out of the way.


Read more discussion :